The Advanced Networking group at Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center conducts research on network performance and analysis in support of high-performance computing applications. They also develop software to support heterogeneous distributed supercomputing applications and to implement high-speed interfaces to archival and mass storage systems.
Work done by the Advanced Networking group includes TCP implementations, TCP tuning, and software to monitor and improve network performance.
3ROX - The Three Rivers Optical Exchange (3ROX) is a regional network aggregation point, also called a GigaPoP, providing high speed commodity and research network access to sites in western and central Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Web10G - Web10G promises innovations in performance, stability, optimization, and network diagnostics to anyone who wants to fully exploit modern high bandwidth connections. It provides users with have real-time statistics about their network connections, and allows them to fine-tune some characteristics of the connection to improve performance. Join the Web10G team on our mailing list, view the archives or visit Web10G online!
KINBER and PennREN - The Keystone Initiative for Network Based Education and Research (KINBER) serves as coordinator for the construction and management of a Pennsylvania-wide fiber optic network, PennREN (Pennsylvania Research and Education Network). PennREN will be accessible to educational, research, health care, and economic development partners seeking to aggregate services for their members and subscribers at affordable cost.
Networking Tools, software, and information
- TestRig 2.0 - A bootable Linux ISO used to automatically and conveniently generate network performance data for analysis by PSC engineers.
- High Performance Enabled SSH/SCP - HPN-SSH Maximize the performance of secure copying and connections between hosts on a high-performance network.
- Enabling High Performance Data Transfers
TCP performance tuning
- TCP Performance Tuning
- Poll-Switch - SNMP poll a layer-2 device - Retrieving host and port information from a layer-2 switch running an SNMP agent.
- Mac-Scan - Scan hosts on a VLAN or network for vulnerabilities
- IP-Utils - Enable data communication via a simple API for various IP-based networking protocols
Networking Research Papers
- DANCES - The DANCES project (Developing Applications with Networking Capabilities via End-to-End SDN) is developing tools to allow the scheduling of network resources much as compute resources are scheduled now, with the aim of reducing data transfer bottlenecks, a serious hindrance to scientifc research.
- NPAD/pathdiag Automatic diagnostic server for troubleshooting end-systems and last-mile network problems.
- SAMI (NIMI) Creating a Secure and Accountable Measurement Infrastructure
- Web 100 Created to address automatic TCP buffer tuning.