Following a very successful Early User Program, Bridges-2, PSC’s newest supercomputer, is up and running!
Bridges-2, PSC’s newest supercomputer, began early operations in February 2021. It is funded by a $10-million grant from the National Science Foundation.
Bridges-2 provides transformative capability for rapidly evolving, computation-intensive and data-intensive research, creating opportunities for collaboration and convergence research. It supports both traditional and non-traditional research communities and applications. Bridges-2 is integrating new technologies for converged, scalable HPC, machine learning and data; prioritizing researcher productivity and ease of use; and providing an extensible architecture for interoperation with complementary data-intensive projects, campus resources, and clouds.
Bridges-2 is available at no cost for research and education, and at cost-recovery rates for other purposes.
- Converged HPC + AI + Data
- Custom topology optimized for data-centric HPC, AI and HPDA
- Heterogeneous node types for different aspects of workflows
- CPUs and AI-targeted GPUS
- 3 tiers or per-node RAM: 256GB, 512GB, 4TB
- Extremely flexible software environment
- Community data collections & Big Data as a Service
- AMD EPYC 7742 CPUs: 64-core2.25–3.4 GHz
- AI scaling to 192 V100-32GB SXM2 GPUs
- 100TB, 9M IOPs flash array accelerates deep learning training, genomics, and other applications
- Mellanox HDR-200 InfiniBand doubles bandwidth & supports in-network MPI-Direct, RDMA, GPUDirect, SR-IOV, and data encryption
- Cray ClusterStor E1000 Storage System
- HPE DMF single namespace across disk and tape for data security and expandable archiving
- Converged HPC + AI + Data
Regular Memory (RM) nodes will provide extremely powerful general-purpose computing, machine learning and data analytics, AI inferencing, and pre- and post-processing.
488 RM nodes will have 256GB of RAM, and 16 will have 512GB of RAM. All RM nodes will have:
- Two AMD EPYC 7742 CPUS, each with:
- 64 cores
- 256MB L3
- 8 memory channels
- NVMe SSD (3.84TB)
- Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR Infiniband 200Gb/s Adapter
Bridges-2 Extreme Memory (EM) nodes will provide 4TB of shared memory for genome sequence assembly, graph analytics, statistics, and other applications requiring a large amount of memory for which distributed-memory implementations are not available. Each of Bridges-2’s 4 EM nodes will consist of:
- Four Intel Xeon Platinum 8260M “Cascade Lake” CPUs:
- 24 cores
- 35.75MB LLC 6 memory channels
- 4TB of RAM: DDR4-2933
- NVMe SSD (7.68TB)
- Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR InfiniBand 200Gb/s Adapter
Bridges-2 24 GPU nodes provide exceptional performance and scalability for deep learning and accelerated computing, with a total of 40,960 CUDA cores and 5,120 tensor cores. Each GPU node will contain:
- Eight NVIDIA Tesla V100-32GB SXM2 GPUs
- 1 Pf/s tensor
- Two Intel Xeon Gold 6248 “Cascade Lake” CPUs:
- 20 cores, 2.50–3.90GHz, 27.5MB LLC, 6 memory channels
- 512GB of RAM: DDR4-2933
- 7.68TB NVMe SSD
- Two Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR Infiniband 200Gb/s Adapter