Outages planned for December 12th - 13th and 19th - 20th
December 12-13: Bridges-2, including all VMs and filesystems, will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 8am until Wednesday, December 13 at 6pm. See the PSC calendar for more details.
December 19-20: Beginning on Tuesday, December 19 at 6AM Eastern time, the entire PSC machine room (all machines, VMs and filesystems) will be unreachable due to a major networking upgrade. We anticipate that this outage will last until 6PM Eastern time on Wednesday December 20.
Jobs running on individual systems should continue to run so long as they are not relying upon any network connections (license servers, input files from remote systems, etc.).
Thank you for your patience while we improve the network for the current and future needs of the PSC community.
Bridges-2, PSC’s flagship supercomputer, began production operations in March 2021. It is funded by a $10-million grant from the National Science Foundation.
Bridges-2 provides transformative capability for rapidly evolving computation- and data-intensive research, and creates opportunities for collaboration and convergence research. It supports both traditional and non-traditional research communities and applications. Bridges-2 integrates new technologies for converged, scalable HPC, machine learning and data; prioritizes researcher productivity and ease of use; and provides an extensible architecture for interoperation with complementary data-intensive projects, campus resources, and clouds.
Bridges-2 is available at no cost for research and education, and at cost-recovery rates for other purposes.
- Converged HPC + AI + Data
- Custom topology optimized for data-centric HPC, AI, and HPDA
- Heterogeneous node types for different aspects of workflows
- CPUs and AI-targeted GPUS
- 3 tiers or per-node RAM: 256GB, 512GB, 4TB
- Extremely flexible software environment
- Community data collections & Big Data as a Service
- AMD EPYC 7742 CPUs: 64-core2.25–3.4 GHz
- AI scaling to 192 V100-32GB SXM2 GPUs
- 100TB, 9M IOPs flash array accelerates deep learning training, genomics, and other applications
- Mellanox HDR-200 InfiniBand doubles bandwidth & supports in-network MPI-Direct, RDMA, GPUDirect, SR-IOV, and data encryption
- Cray ClusterStor E1000 Storage System
- HPE DMF single namespace for data security and expandable archiving
- Converged HPC + AI + Data
Regular Memory (RM) nodes will provide extremely powerful, general-purpose computing, machine learning and data analytics, AI inferencing, and pre- and post-processing.
488 RM nodes will have 256GB of RAM, and 16 will have 512GB of RAM.
All RM nodes will have:
- NVMe SSD (3.84TB)
- Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR Infiniband 200Gb/s Adapter
- Two AMD EPYC 7742 CPUS, each with:
- 64 cores
- 256MB L3
- 8 memory channels
Bridges-2 Extreme Memory (EM) nodes will provide 4TB of shared memory for genome sequence assembly, graph analytics, statistics, and other applications requiring a large amount of memory for which distributed-memory implementations are not available.
Each of Bridges-2’s 4 EM nodes will consist of:
- 35.75MB LLC 6 memory channels
- 4TB of RAM: DDR4-2933
- NVMe SSD (7.68TB)
- Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR InfiniBand 200Gb/s Adapter
- Four Intel Xeon Platinum 8260M “Cascade Lake” CPUs:
- 24 cores
Bridges-2’s original 24 GPU nodes provide exceptional performance and scalability for deep learning and accelerated computing, with a total of 40,960 CUDA cores and 5,120 tensor cores. Additionally, the GPU nodes from Bridges were migrated to Bridges-2, adding the DGX-2 and nine more V100 GPU nodes to Bridges-2’s GPU resources.
The 24 original GPU nodes contain:
- 512GB of RAM: DDR4-2933
- 7.68TB NVMe SSD
- Two Mellanox ConnectX-6 HDR Infiniband 200Gb/s Adapter
- Eight NVIDIA Tesla V100-32GB SXM2 GPUs
- 1 Pf/s tensor
- Two Intel Xeon Gold 6248 “Cascade Lake” CPUs:
- 20 cores/CPU, 2.50–3.90GHz, 27.5MB LLC, 6 memory channels
The Bridges GPUs migrated to Bridges-2 include nine nodes with:
- 192GB of RAM, DDR4-2666
- 4 NVMe SSDs, 2TB each
- 8 NVIDIA V10016GB GPUs
- 2 Intel Xeon Gold 6148 CPUs:
- 20 cores/CPU, 2.4 – 3.7 Ghz
The DGX-2 contains:
- 1.5TB RAM, DDR4-2666
- 8 NVMe SSDs, 8.84TB each
- 16 NVIDIA Volta V100-32GB GPUs
- 2 Intel Xeon Platinum 8168 CPUs:
- 24 cores/CPU, 2.7 – 3.7 GHz