The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for advanced computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across a wide spectrum of fields, including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, cell biology, and genomics.
PSC is seeking creative and capable individuals to join our highly-experienced Advanced Systems and Operations team as our new Linux Systems Administrator. The successful candidate will support the research community by developing and maintaining the infrastructure to deploy and maintain fleets of hosts (physical and virtual), containers and services for the variety of project-based resources PSC operates and have a hand in planning new directions. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team at the nexus of technology, research, and software development dedicated to helping the scientific community solve challenging and complex problems.
The Advanced Systems and Operations group within PSC is responsible for the integration and operations of computational assets central to this pursuit. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
- Development and system administration of Linux system environments.
- Develop tools and scripts to assist with maintenance tasks.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Collaborating in support of managed systems and the infrastructure necessary to host them.
- Provide technical problem solving and consulting for Linux/Unix based systems
- Perform operating system software upgrades, deployments and troubleshooting of the project servers and desktop workstations
- Perform hardware upgrades, deployments and troubleshooting of the project servers and desktop workstations
- Perform engineer duties which includes communication with users, plan and coordinate maintenance and ensuring Linux based servers and desktops are operational on a day-to-day basis
- Support high performance cluster environments
- Monitor and respond to system incidents
- Other duties as assigned
- Other responsibilities may include
- Racking and cabling compute and file systems hardware
- Maintenance of printers and copiers, servers, desktops, and laptops.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration, and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Linux systems administration
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Python, BASH)
- Desire to teach and learn for continuing team development
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience writing and/or extending systems administration software (e.g. utilities, libraries, plugins)
- Experience with parallel file systems (e.g. Lustre)
- Experience in a high performance computing environment (HPC)
- Experience with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Experience with virtualization management infrastructure such as oVirt, VMWare, KVM
- Familiarity with cloud services such as AWS, GCP, OpenStack, or Azure
- Familiarity with containerize execution such as Singularity, Docker, or Kubernetes
- Successful background check.
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply