The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC), a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for sophisticated computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across a wide spectrum of fields, including artificial intelligence/machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, cell biology, and genomics.
PSC is seeking a motivated self-starter to join our Biomedical team as a Senior Bioinformatics Support Specialist. This is an exciting opportunity to support users at the center with their bioinformatics investigations, ranging from genome and transcriptome assembly, single cell sequencing, Genome-wide association studies (GWAS), and other state-of-the-art analyses.
The position will serve both an internal and external user base. Your core responsibilities will include:
- Supporting both internal and external users with bioinformatics software needs, including installing open-source software and databases, and consulting on various bioinformatics tools and methods.
- Assisting PSC data coordination centers and archives (e.g. HuBMAP and SenNet) with project deliverables and milestones
- Developing and publishing workflows needed for specific use-cases.
- Assisting in the production of manuscripts, user-facing and internal documentation, and examples.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, teamwork and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and collaboratively with technical and scientific teams.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Maintain confidentiality and use discretion with sensitive information.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail; keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and records.
- Ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or individuals.
- Adaptability and openness to change as the department and organization evolve
Qualifications (and/or Skills and Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering or related fields.
- Shell scripting experience on Unix or Linux systems
- Programming experience in one or more frequently used languages for bioinformatics programming (Python, Perl, R, and C/C++).
- Knowledge of open-source bioinformatics databases and tools
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Strong team player who can build strong relationships within all levels of the organization and across project teams.
- Experience with laboratory processes and techniques such as those involved in microbiology, molecular biology, single cell sequencing and spatial-omics.
- Experience with submission to NIH repositories such as dbGap, GEO, SRA and other similar repositories.
- Track record of developing analysis workflows on High Performance computing systems using workflow languages.
- Experience working on large multi-institution collaborative projects and/or in bioinformatics user support.
- Ability to develop independently funded research projects.
- Masters and/or PhD in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering or related fields.
- Successful background check
- Work Posture: This position is operating on a hybrid schedule, with an on-campus/in office presence 3 days a week.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Please apply