HPN-SSHHigh performance SSH/SCP
HPN-SSH is a research project based at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
HPN-SSH Papers and Presentations
(PI) Chris Rapier PSC, Michael Stevens CMU, Benjamin Bennett PSC, Mike Tasota PSC/CMU
- "Application Layer Network Window Management in the SSH Protocol" - This was the first write up about our work. It is important to note that this should be seen as an introduction to what we were working on at the time.
SuperComputing 2004 Poster - This is the full PDF of the poster we presented at the SuperComputing 2004 conference. This provides more detail, some graphs illustrating the problem, and some of our results.
- A text version of the above poster. No layout so it's easier to read.
- A presentation on HPN-SSH given at the Internet2 Spring 2005 Members Meeting. A useful synopsis of what we've done and where we plan on going.
- "High Speed Bulk Data Transfer on the Grid Using the SSH Protocol" - Submitted to the Gridnets 2007 conference.
- "High Speed Bulk Data Transfer Using the SSH Protocol" - This is an updated and revised version of the above Gridnets paper that was accepted for publication in the proceedings of the Mardi Gras Conference 2008 sponsored by LSU and ACM SIGAPP
- "Enabling High Performance Bulk Data Transfers with SSH" - the presentation of the above paper.
Notes and News
Binary Packages Released for 17v11
Binary packages for Debian and Fedora are now available. Commands to add these package sources are:For Debian: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rapier1/hpnsshFor Fedora: sudo dnf copr enable rapier1/hpnssh
HPN-SSH 17v11 Released
We are pleased to announce that HPN-SSH 17v11 has been released and is now available on https://github.com/rapier1/openssh-portable. This version brings HPN-SSH up to parity with OpenSSH 9.2 and resolves a number of minor bugs. Patches and binary packages will be...
We are pleased to announce HPN17v0. This version brings us up to date with OpenSSH 8.9. HPN17 also brings a big change to how we are naming things. From now all executables will have an "hpn" prefix attached to them. So "ssh" is now "hpnssh" and "scp" becomes...
Patch sets on SourceForge
All patch sets from 4.4p1 to 8.1p1 are now available on SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hpnssh/. The entire codebase (merged with OpenSSH) is also available as a git repo from https://github.com/rapier1/openssh-portable. The SourceForge location now...
NSF funds HPN-SSH
We are proud to announce that the HPN-SSH development team has received a grant from the National Science Foundation (Award#: 2004012) to continue development on HPN-SSH. This grant will be used to develop and incorporate new features and optimizations. This grant...
This work was made possible in part by grants from Cisco Systems, Inc., the National Science Foundation, and the National Library of Medicine.