The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC), a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for advanced computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across a wide spectrum of fields, including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, cell biology, and genomics.
PSC is seeking a creative and talented Web and Graphic Designer to join our communications team. This is an exciting opportunity to enhance PSC’s visual identity, produce graphical content for multiple funded projects and work closely with project teams that include scientific and technical team members.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Manage the visual identity of multiple projects.
- Liaise with communications team members and/or project teams to collect and determine design requirements.
- Create layouts, edit videos and graphics for PSC and project websites – this also includes social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Implement UI elements in Html/CSS and/or via WordPress for updates to websites.
- Conceptualize, design, and implement creative graphics and content, both print and digital, on time and within budget.
- Develop and design layouts, inclusive of copy and images for email campaigns, annual reports, presentations, promotional materials (banners, printed collateral), social media, etc.
- Maintain and update print and web style guides for brand consistency.
- Maintain and update existing presentations and collateral; design new material, create branded collateral for partner and project presentations and trade shows.
- Manage design revisions and approval of artwork approval.
- Manage archive of all project artwork and design material.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Associate’s Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design or related course of study preferred
- 1-3 years experience in graphic design for a company or agency, experience in technical or scientific environment a plus.
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn.
- Strong team player who can build strong relationships within all levels of the organization and across project teams.
Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) .
- Experience with WordPress.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc).
- Ability to work with programming scripts, including XML and HTML required.
- Video editing experience preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with productions and rendering methods, including drawing, offset printing, photography, and interactive media.
- Creative thinking skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Preferred understanding of printing process and specifications.
- Preferred experience with Canva.
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements, including use of facial coverings, daily self-assessment and weekly Tartan Testing.