Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) architects, deploys, and makes usable world-class, high performance computational resources. Building on its roots within both Carnegie Mellon and the University of Pittsburgh, PSC enables national and international researchers to make use of innovative technologies in addition to a robust array of local and regional collaborators. The Facilities Technology group within PSC is responsible for the integration and operations of computational assets central to this pursuit. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
The Facilities Technology team within PSC is seeking to hire a Systems Automation Engineer. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for developing and maintaining software tooling to enable scalable administration of a fleets of hosts (physical and virtual) for the variety of project-based resources PSC operates, with an eye toward migrating appropriate functionality to containers or more ephemeral (e.g. FAAS) technology. Regular collaboration and cross-training with the operations team will also be key activities to assure efficiency and supportability of resulting infrastructure. Interaction with the broader staff of user, network, scientific, and administrative support specialists will also be fruitful as you establish your place in the PSC team.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Development and maintenance of configuration management software
- Development and maintenance of monitoring software driven from configuration management
- Collaborating in support of managed systems and the infrastructure necessary to host them
- Augmenting documentation of configuration management, monitoring, and associated infrastructure sufficiently that others can share in their support and lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience required with:
- Linux systems administration, CentOS & Debian.
- Configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Scripting languages (e.g. Python, BASH).
- Desire to teach and learn for continuing team development.
- Preferred qualifications:
- 2+ experience configuration management software and judicious extension thereof
- 2+ years experience writing and/or extending systems administration software (e.g. utilities, libraries, plugins)
- 2+ years Linux systems administration experience
- Familiarity with cloud services such as OpenStack, AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Familiarity with containerize execution such as Singularity, Docker, or Kubernetes
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply