Systems Automation Engineer-2011664
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) architects, deploys, and operates world-class, high performance computational resources. Building on its roots within both Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, the PSC enables national and international researchers to make use of innovative technologies in addition to a robust array of local and regional collaborators. The Facilities Technology group within the PSC is responsible for the integration and operations of computational assets central to this pursuit. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
The Facilities Technology team within PSC is seeking to hire a Computing Infrastructure Engineer. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for developing and maintaining software tooling to enable scalable administration of a fleets of hosts (physical and virtual) for the variety of project-based resources PSC operates, with an eye toward migrating appropriate functionality to newer technologies including containers. Regular collaboration and cross-training with the operations team will also be key activities to assure efficiency and supportability of resulting infrastructure. Interaction with the broader staff of user, network, scientific, and administrative support specialists will also be fruitful as you establish your place in the PSC team.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Development and maintenance of configuration management software;
- Development and maintenance of monitoring software driven from configuration management;
- Collaborating in support of managed systems and the infrastructure necessary to host them; and
- Augmenting documentation of configuration management, monitoring, and associated infrastructure sufficiently that others can share in their support and lifecycle.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You will demonstrate:
- A desire to teach and learn for continuing team development;
- Solid experience in configuration management software and judicious extension thereof;
- Proficiency in writing and/or extending systems software such as utilities, libraries, plugins; and
- Familiarity with cloud services such as OpenStack, AWS, GCP, or Azure; and containerized execution such as Singularity, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; and
- Minimum three years of applicable experience required.
- Linux systems administration, CentOS & Debian
- Configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Scripting languages such as Python, BASH or similar
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.