The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross disciplines. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences. Our Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) within MCS is seeking a Sr. Software Engineer to join our team, specifically to work with the Human BioMolecular Atlas Program (HuBMAP, http://hubmapconsortium.org) team to develop sophisticated backend frameworks supporting web-based platforms for enabling complex scientific research; data collection, curation, and archiving; artificial intelligence / machine learning and simulation scientific workflow management; and advanced research computing orchestration. The successful candidate should have the ability to design, implement and maintain backend frameworks for data ETL, data orchestration, and data analysis with technologies including: Python-based frameworks (e.g. Apache Airflow), cloud-based frameworks (e.g. AWS), databases (e.g. SQL, neo4j, elasticsearch, Redis), and containers (Docker, Singularity), and work with full-stack developers to integrate services with HuBMAP web platforms. This is an excellent opportunity if you thrive on the opportunity for collaboration on building platforms with complementary groups across PSC, particularly our AI & Big Data, Biomedical Applications, User Support for Scientific Application, Cybersecurity, and Facilities Technology Groups; CMU; as well as expert collaborators across other institutions (Harvard University, Indiana University, New York Genome Center).
Responsibilities are determined by active project needs. Some examples are as follows:
- Analyze, plan, implement, deploy and distribute backend frameworks for data ETL, data orchestration, and data analysis, in response to our diverse set of research projects and the external research community’s needs, goals and mission.
- Engage with web platform developers to translate requirements into functional specifications and features for backend frameworks.
- Build backend data frameworks with best practices in software development including version-control, continuous integration testing, unit testing and hands-on interactive user testing.
- Build backend frameworks that can connect with high-performance computing resources, cloud computing, and data repositories.
- Organize training and documentation of backend frameworks at the Center, and participate and provide materials for advanced training efforts for the scientific community.
- Install, test, deploy, and support backend frameworks on PSC’s production and research platforms as well advise the planning and design of new user-focused research platforms.
- Contribute as needed to grant proposals and related efforts to attract funding.
- Actively discuss and implement new ideas in close collaboration with other members of all research and operations groups across the center.
- Other duties as assigned
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Skills and experience:
- Proficiency in Python.
- Proficiency with RESTful API development, documentation, and use.
- Proficiency with at least one database technology, including SQL, no-SQL, and graph-based databases (e.g. Neo4J).
- Proficiency with Linux: shells, editors, building applications, etc.
- Preferred proficiency with advanced API development tools such as Swagger and GraphQL.
- Preferred proficiency in data management and data analytics.
- Preferred proficiency with a framework for data ETL, data orchestration, or workflow management, including Python-based frameworks such as Apache Airflow.
- Preferred proficiency in cloud services such as Amazon, Google, and Azure.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and creativity.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field. Equivalent software development experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in backend software platform development.
- Preferred 5 years of experience in backend software platform development, using appropriate technology stack and in support of scientific research and data analytics.
- Preferred experience with cloud-based projects.
- Preferred experience with leading team-based projects.
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements, including use of facial coverings, daily self-assessment and weekly Tartan Testing.