Senior Manager of Communications-2015453
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC), a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for advanced computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across the spectrum including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, and genomics.
PSC is seeking a highly innovative, motivated, and hardworking individual to provide leadership as the Senior Manager of Communications. This will be a key position at our center to manage our public relations and build and sustain our center’s reputation to the world. In this role, you will lead our communications team to effectively execute a strategic vision involving press coverage, social media, and publications coordinated together to provide an effective, efficient, and innovative ongoing dialog with funders, researchers, and the community at-large. This position will directly report to our Executive Director and provide an excellent opportunity to implement an exciting vision for overall communications efforts for the center.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Leading and developing a team of individuals including science writers, web designers, marketing, and social media specialists to implement a highly effective and innovative communications program for all projects and activities
- Developing a set of standard operating procedures for efficiently coordinating communications for all areas of the center’s activities, including projects, external research, and center-wide outreach activities
- Establishing a program for communicating scientific research stories and publications to a wide array of key partners
- Writing press releases and content for websites and publications
- Establishing and drive a multi-channel communications strategy
- Leading the preparation for all communications material
- Developing a brand voice for the center and for individual projects and maintain brand integrity across all platforms
- Leading all aspects of the development of metrics to supervise engagement across various platforms and make data-driven decisions
- Coordinate our center’s and project’s presence at academic and industry events, trade shows, and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field or equivalent work experience required. Master’s degree preferred
- At least 8 years of experience in a communications related field, including writer, marketing, webmaster, or social media specialist
- 1-3 years of experience leading a team in a communications or marketing related program
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities and inclusion, teamwork, and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies within the PSC. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Proven track record in building and implementing strategy and vision for communications
- Proven knowledge and proficiency with communication technologies
- Media relations experience with existing media relations network a plus
- Ability to manage and work with external relationships and collaborators
- Strong leadership track record
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent editing skills
- Experience working in an academic or scientific setting a plus
- Demonstrated collaborative approach to work
- Background check
- A writing and copy-editing test
You application should include writing samples or a link to an online portfolio.
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at https://cmu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2015453&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.