The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC), a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for sophisticated computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across a wide spectrum of fields, including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, cell biology, and genomics.
Our team at PSC is seeking a highly organized and motivated individual to serve as a Project Manager. This position will provide overall project management support for our large-scale platform projects including Bridges-2 (https://www.psc.edu/resources/bridges-2/) Neocortex (https://www.cmu.edu/psc/aibd/neocortex/) and others as needed. This is an opportunity to join a growing team at the nexus of technology, research, and software development dedicated to helping the scientific community solve challenging and sophisticated problems.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Lead and schedule meetings and conference calls on diverse topics (from budgets to project management to collaboration) with varying stakeholders while maintaining well organized and thoughtful minutes to develop and follow-up on action items.
- Document management and organization for project teams.
- Lead communications with center collaborative partners and funding agencies across multi-site and multi-national projects.
- Assist project leadership teams to review current status of budgets, deliverables, & milestones, to draft project execution plans and reports, and to conduct regular risk management processes.
- Collaborate with project teams to develop, implement, and optimize team processes in pursuit of project goals.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders and community members through all phases of the project(s).
- Represent relevant projects to external collaborators at meetings and conferences.
- Work across functional units (systems, networking, security, etc.) to develop and deliver work plans for project deliverables.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Ability to work with a diverse set of stakeholders who may be on-site or remote
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
- Proficient at managing multiple stakeholder priorities while managing project goals.
- Client service focused mentality to project management
- Experience in working in multi-project science-related organizations preferred
- Experience in a technical environment required
- Understanding of AI and machine learning concepts preferred
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience required
- Strong organization, planning, analytical, interpersonal, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Confirmed ability to quickly learn and understand sophisticated topics and propose resolutions.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail.
- Strong team player who can build positive relationships within all levels of the organization and across project teams and is willing to contribute where needed.
- Comfortable communicating through various platforms including Slack, email, Zoom, etc.
- Proficiency with project management and project management software (e.g. Asana)
- Ability to run multiple projects simultaneously
- Successful background check
- This position resides at CMU’s Oakland campus and requires presence in office a minimum of 3 days per week
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.