Our Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is seeking a creative and capable individual to join our highly-experienced Advanced Systems and Operations team as our new Virtualization Infrastructure Engineer. The successful candidate will support the research community by developing and maintaining the infrastructure to deploy and maintain fleets of hosts (physical and virtual), containers and services for the variety of project-based resources PSC operates and have a hand in planning new directions. This is an opportunity to join a growing team at the nexus of technology, research, and software development dedicated to helping the scientific community solve challenging and complex problems.
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, a joint research center Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for advanced computational research, communications and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across the spectrum including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, and genomics. The Advanced Systems and Operations group within PSC is responsible for the integration and operations of computational assets central to this pursuit. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Design, implement, and maintain virtual hosting platforms at PSC.
- Design, implement, and maintain container hosting and orchestration platforms for system operations and research computing.
- Design, implement and maintain a microservice architecture for high performance computing orchestration and emerging (e.g. Functions as a Service) hosting resources
- Design and maintenance of OS provisioning on bare-metal systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience required.
- A combination of 3 of experience in the following areas:
- Development, installation, and/or managing virtualization, orchestration, and/or container infrastructure: such as: OpenStack, Singularity, Kubernetes
- Experience administering Linux and/or other Unix systems at scale, preferably in support of high-performance computing
- Overall Systems Administration and Information Technology Experience
- Scripting for systems automation with languages such as Python and Bash
- Ability to work in a team to automate systems tasks, stand up and maintain new and existing infrastructure infrastructure.
- 1-3 years experience using, deploying and maintaining virtualization and/or container hosting platforms.
- 1-3 years experience virtualization hosting platforms such as OpenStack, VMWare ESX, oVirt.
- 1-3 years’ experience writing and/or extending systems software such as utilities, libraries, plugins.
- 1-3 years’ Linux systems administration experience.
- Container experience with Singularity or Docker and Kubernetes (or similar).
- Familiarity with cloud services such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Familiarity with OS provisioning software such as OpenStack Ironic, Warewulf, or Puppet Razor.
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply