Virtualization Infrastructure Engineer-2011675
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) architects, deploys, and operates world-class, high performance computational resources. Building on its roots within both Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, the PSC enables national and international researchers to make use of innovative technologies in addition to a robust array of local and regional collaborators. The Facilities Technology group within the PSC is responsible for the integration and operations of computational assets central to this pursuit. We are looking for creative and capable individuals to join an experienced team and continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science.
The Facilities Technology team within PSC is seeking to hire a Virtualization Infrastructure Engineer. In this role, you will primarily be responsible for developing and maintaining the infrastructure to deploy and maintain fleets of hosts (physical and virtual), containers and services for the variety of project-based resources PSC operates and have a hand in planning new directions. Regular collaboration and cross-training with the operations team will also be key activities to assure efficiency and supportability of resulting infrastructure. Interaction with the broader staff of user, network, scientific, and administrative support specialists will also be fruitful as you establish your place in the PSC team.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Leading management and expansion of virtual hosting platforms;
- Leading development and management of container and emerging (e.g. Functions as a Service) hosting resources; and
- Leading the management of OS provisioning on bare-metal systems.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You will demonstrate:
- A desire to teach and learn for continuing team development;
- Solid experience in using and/or maintaining virtualization hosting platforms;
- Proficiency in writing and/or extending systems software such as utilities, libraries, plugins;
- Familiarity with cloud services such as AWS, GCP, or Azure; and OS provisioning software such as OpenStack Ironic, Warewulf, or Puppet Razor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; and
- Minimum three years of applicable experience required.
- Scripting languages: Python, Bash
- Platforms: OpenStack, VMWare ESX, oVirt
- Container experience with Singularity or Docker and Kubernetes (or similar)
Please apply for all staff positions by creating a profile and submitting credentials online at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html. No applications will be accepted via email or the U.S. Postal Service.