See also policies for:
Security is very important to PSC. These policies are intended to insure that our machines are not misused and that users' data is secure.
What We Will Never Do:
- PSC will never send you unsolicited emails requesting confidential information.
- We will also never ask you for your password via an unsolicited email or phone call.
Remember that the PSC help desk is always a phone call away to confirm any correspondence at 412-267-6350.
If you have replied to an email appearing to be from PSC and supplied your password or other sensitive information, please contact the help desk immediately.
What You Can Expect:
- We will send you email when we need to communicate with you about service outages, new HPC resources, and the like.
- We will send you email when your password is about to expire and ask you to change it by using the web-based PSC password change utility.
Other Security Policies
- PSC password policies
- Users must connect to PSC machines using ssh in order to avoid remote logins with clear text passwords
- We vigilantly monitor our computer systems and network connections for security violations
- We are in close contact with the CERT Coordination Project with regard to possible Internet security violations
Reporting Security Incidents
PSC Resource Use Policy
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center's computing resources are vital to the scientific community, and we have a responsibility to ensure that these resources are utilized in a responsible manner. The term Computing Resources in this case refers to all computers owned or operated by PSC and all hardware, data, software, storage systems and communications networks associated with these computers. By using resources, you agree to comply with the following conditions of use:
- You will only use PSC Computing Resources to perform work and transmit/store data consistent with the stated goals and conditions of use as defined by your approved authorization and this Resource Use Policy.
- You will respect intellectual property rights and observe confidentiality agreements and any other restrictions and obligations related to your use of PSC Computing Resources.
- You will not use PSC Computing Resources for financial gain, unless use for financial gain has been explicitly authorized, or for any unlawful purpose, nor attempt to breach or circumvent any administrative or security controls. You will comply with all applicable laws.
- PIs are responsible for properly vetting users in their respective groups and by doing so they are attesting that each username belongs to the intended person.
- PIs will ensure that users who have access to PSC Computing Resources will comply with this Resource Use Policy.
- Use of PSC Computing Resources is at your own risk. There are no guarantees that resources and services will be available, that they will suit every purpose, or that data will never be lost or corrupted. Users are responsible for backing up critical data.
- Users of PSC's systems are subject to applicable Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and federal laws. Violations of the PSC Resource Use Policy may result in loss of access to resources.
- Abuse of resources will be referred to the PSC Security Team and/or the appropriate local, state and federal authorities, at PSC's discretion.
- PSC may terminate or restrict any user's access to its systems, without prior notice, if such action is necessary to maintain computing availability and security for other users of the systems.
The PSC Resource Use Policy strictly prohibits the following activity:
- Using, or attempting to use, PSC Computing Resources without prior authorization or for unauthorized purposes.
- Tampering with or obstructing the operation of the PSC Computing Resources, or attempting to do so.
- Inspecting, modifying, distributing, or copying privileged data or software without proper authorization, or attempting to do so.
- Supplying, or attempting to supply, false or misleading information or identification in order to access PSC Computing Resources.
Any questions related to the PSC Resource Use Policy should be directed to PSC User Services.
This policy may be modified as new features are added to the site. Any changes to the policy will be posted on this page.
- Any data automatically collected from our site visitors - domain name, browser types, etc. - are used only in aggregate to help us better meet site visitors' needs.
- There is no identification of individuals from our aggregate data. Therefore, unless you choose otherwise, you are totally anonymous when visiting our site.
- We do not share data with anyone for commercial purposes.
- If you choose to submit personally identifiable information to us electronically via the PSC feedback page, email, etc., we will treat it with the same respect for privacy afforded to mailed submissions. Submission of such information is always optional.