Network Engineer - 100946
This position is in the Networking group of the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center and provides engineering and operations support for the PSC's production network and for the Three Rivers Optical Exchange (3ROX) GigaPoP. This position will help design, monitor, analyze and improve state-of-the-art computer networks such as the Internet2 network. This person will be able to quickly identify and solve network performance problems. This person will be responsible for using network monitoring and debugging tools and interpreting the results of these tools in order to successfully resolve network problems and improve network configuration and performance. Due to the highly variable nature of network problems, this person does not have routine procedures to follow but applies knowledge of network behavior gained through formal engineering/computer science education and experience. This person will also be responsible for testing and evaluating network hardware and software, developing new network monitoring and analysis tools and writing network documentation. This person will have input into network design decisions and be responsible for implementation of those decisions.
- Education: BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Licenses: Valid U.S. driver's license; Cisco or Juniper certification or equivalent experience.
- Experience: three or more years experience with operating system (UNIX, Windows, OS-X) environments; network protocols (TCP/IP); network technologies and services such as routing, switching, Ethernet, DNS, SNMP; and network diagnostic tools
- Skills: excellent analytical reasoning and innovative problem solving skills; ability to ensure the stability and reliability of production network; ability to function well in a team environment and to interact and communicate well with other people; excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to maintain accurate, detailed records; programming experience in designing, developing, and implementing diagnostics or monitoring programs; ability to write WWW based documentation and tools
- Physical Mobility: ability to travel to a variety of locales (in Pittsburgh, throughout the US); ability to lift and carry 40 pounds; ability to stay at a terminal and use a keyboard and mouse for extended periods
- Environmental Conditions: typical office setting; close contact with CRT for extended periods of time
- Mental: Strong organization and problem solving skills; ability to prioritize and meet deadlines; ability to work under pressure
- Other: evening and weekend hours may be required
- Experience: Four years or more of experience in deploying and operating a production network including local and wide area networks, configuring switches, routers, firewalls, and VPNs; experience in an academic setting
- Skills: Programming experience with C, Python, Expect, PERL, or shell scripts; familiarity with the SNMP protocol and XML.
Job Function: Network/Telecomm
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
FT/PT Status: Regular Full Time
Organization: PSC - PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
Job Grade:JCC Code 61-3446
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Preferred Education Level: None Specified
Salary Negotiable: US Dollars Annually
Please apply at http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/index.html