data.psc.edu — The Data Supercell
The PSC-developed Data Supercell is a low cost, high bandwidth, low latency, high reliability and high capacity disk-based data management solution. It provides academic, corporate, government and research partners with a convenient and affordable way to store and access their data, including extremely large data sets.
- Storage system architecture is based on file systems designed for high reliability and scalability, including data transfer verification and validation, providing unequaled durability for even the largest data sets.
- Basic DS service includes a single secure copy; DS system design allows a second copy to be easily added if required; future plans will allow further redundancy to be easily accommodated with a third copy replicated to our off-site storage.
- Files of any size can be stored, from smaller document collections or datasets to multi-terabyte backup sets. The Data Supercell is an ideal solution for off-site backup storage. Minimum storage allocation is 10TB.
- Simple and secure interface methods make it easy to use for the typical user.
- Access methods are Grid FTP/Globus On-Line compatible.
- Interface methods can be customized when needed to provide flexible and expandable solutions to meet the needs of more demanding applications. Federated authentication available if required.
Better than ArchivingMore cost-effective than tape
- Bandwidth ~ 24 times better than tape
- Latency ~10,000 times better than tape
Highest reliability for petascale storage
- Enhancements beyond standard RAID
- Options for geographical redundancy
- Optimize data replication and data movement
- Enable analysis of the largest datasets
from gigabytes to terabytes to petabytes, over long periods.
- Preserve data models
simplify software design and reduce maintenance costs.
- Maximize data utility
Store metadata with data.
Integrate structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data.
- Make the best decisions based on all available data
Keep data useful, not buried in "write once, read never" archives.
In combination with Data-Intensive Computing (very large memory and analytics) the Data Supercell can provide exceptional business intelligence and results in record time.
- First copy - $250/TB/year. Second copy, if required, is an additional $175/TB/year.
- Minimum storage requirement is 10TB ($2500/year).
- Annual contracts automatically renew.